Clean carpets look and smell great. You feel better about having them in your home and no one likes to have dirt or food stains left tracked all over their floors. Did you also know that getting your carpets cleaned regularly can rid them of nasty bacteria and insects? Bugs, and bacteria like to live in carpets, rugs and mats and exposure to them could be damaging your furniture and fabrics or even making your family sick! This blog will look at some of the pests that could be calling your carpets home and provide tips on how to get rid of them.
Bedbugs are small, brown insects that bite animals and humans for food. They like warmth and typically live in bed sheets, headboards and mattresses. However, they can also survive in carpets and will bite pets or people in the area. Bed bugs aren’t dangerous per se, but their bites can leave small red welts that become itchy.
How to get rid of them
- Spread diatomaceous earth over the carpet to kill the bed bugs.
- Use a bagged vacuum to clean your carpet thoroughly
- Use a carpet cleaner to shampoo and / or steam your carpet. Or call Canadian Carpet Cleaners to help – we have great rates!
The Illinois Department of Public Health says carpet beetles may be the most commonly overlooked pest in homes. Carpet beetles eat animal and plant fibres and were named when most household carpets were made of wool. Today, they can be found in many places around the home and will damage furniture and infest food storages. The insect begins its life as a larva and looks like a millipede before growing into its more traditional beetle like look. Carpet beetles usually make their way inside attached to clothing or through open windows and doors.
How to get rid of them
- Vacuum your carpets thoroughly
- Wash your fabrics in hot, soapy water
- Dust with boric acid (Borax) to kill remaining beetles.
- Clean your carpet and use preventative treatments. Ask Canadian Carpet Cleaners how we can help with this!
Bacteria, Viruses and Molds
A host of bacteria, micro-organisms and viruses could be lurking in your carpets and pose a serious health risk. Bacteria like E coli., Norovirus, fungis, molds, and plenty others could all be living in your carpet. These pests can be tracked in from dirty shoes, attach themselves to clothing or be transmitted when people cough or sneeze. Many bacteria can survive for weeks living in your carpet.
How to Get Rid of Them
- Vacuum regularly to suck up any micro-organisms in your carpet.
- Keep your carpet dry to prevent mold and fungi from growing
- Get your carpet professionally cleaned to get rid of any bacteria, mold or virus build up.
There are a lot of things that could be living in your unwashed carpets! Often, the solution can be as simple as calling Canadian Carpet Cleaning to get your carpets professionally cleaned and flush out anything that might be setting up a home within them. Contact us to learn about our cleaning options.